Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by frteach, Jan 24, 2016.
Aug 4, 2018
Got my score back!! 182! Thank goodness!!
Excellent work! Well done!
Aug 5, 2018
I'm taking my SLLA in NJ on Thursday. I've never been good at standardized tests, in fact I'm awful I've been studying for months and no matter what example tests I take I always select the wrong answers. Does anyone have any helpful tips for me? This is so stressful.
I just took it last month. I would say to pace yourself and not overthink. Go with your gut.
Did you find out yet if you passed? Yeah, I'm not sure my gut is always trusting!
Aug 6, 2018
Hugs, Bookstabern1. That's not a fun place to be, and you have my sympathies.
You might do well to work on your reasoning skills, or to be precise taking full advantage of your skills in noticing and comparing differences. If answers B and C are stupid and answers A and D are nearly identical, depend upon it that the difference between A and D is crucial: the question stem (the heap of information that precedes "Which of the following...?") will support A's version but not D's, or vice versa.
Working through LearningExpress's book Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day could be helpful.
Thank you so much for your tip. I have been using a practice book called, SLLA CRASH COURSE and though the MC is far easier than that of the ETS brand, their MC section seems to help in training to do this exact thing. I am trying to pay very close attention to wording. What is tough is if it is not my first choice it is always my second. I notice that most I get wrong are the "put these answers in order by priority" I have two full days left.
I did!! 183
Yay, haha! Such wonderful news. Congratulations!
So by "put these answers in order by priority," do you mean questions that give a scenario that presents, say, a problem situation that arises at a school, and each answer choice is a list of strategies that a school leader might apply to deal with a specific situation? Something like that?
That's a fine score, agdamity! Well done!
Aug 9, 2018
I just took my SLLA- I am not sure how I did. I want to remain confident because I feel I may have done well. The MC, in my opinion, was rather difficult and far from the practice tests I had taken as preparation. I feel like I did very well on the CR. If I did not do so well on MC but I did well on CR will it help me out?
Should, yes: as long as you collect enough scaled points to hit the passing score, neither you nor Praxis care whether the points are evenly distributed across multiple choice vs. constructed response vs. whether you do better with one question type than with the other.
Aug 10, 2018
Do you know what they mean when they say raw score?
For a test that combines selected-response and constructed-response questions, you get two raw scores.
First, SLLA has 100 selected-response questions all of which are standard four-option questions, so the highest possible raw score for that part is 100 minus whichever questions aren't being counted because they're being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of the test.
Second, SLLA features seven constructed responses, each of which is scored by two scorers on a scale from 0 to 3. If this were a Pearson test, I would expect the maximum raw score to be the sum of the scores given by each scorer for each question. Praxis does things differently: Praxis computes the mean (average) of the two scores given for each constructed response, then adds together the means to yield your total constructed-response raw score. (For instance, suppose for four questions Smedley is awarded scores of 2 and 3 and for three questions the scorers give 3 and 3. Smedley's raw score would be 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 19.)
These raw scores can't simply be added together sensibly, because multiple choice points count for 70% of the test and constructed response points for the remaining 30%, so obviously each multiple choice point makes a smaller contribution to the overall score than does each constructed-response point. The scaling process takes both the weighting and the relative difficulty of the questions into account.
Thank you for the thorough answer. That makes more sense now. I couldn't figure out what they meant by that!
Aug 11, 2018
The code is changing for those wanting to pass for MS.
Does the change in passing score mean that the questions will increase in difficulty, or are they lowering expectations because a higher rate of people are not passing with the current score? I found MC difficult. The study guides may have prepared me to make connections. I am awaiting my scores, but I will admit, nervous.
I'm not sure about increase in difficulty, but the new test code will come with 20 more MC questions and 3 fewer CR, but so far, only MS is changing.
Separate names with a comma.