Multiple offers: How do I handle this?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Thespis, May 14, 2006.

  1. Thespis

    Thespis Rookie

    May 14, 2006
    Likes Received:

    May 14, 2006

    I'm a 12 year veteran theatre teacher. I've been on several interviews. The Fine Arts director in the district I really want will be holding 2nd interviews with a panel of teachers very soon, but told me if I got an offer from someone else that "looked serious" to call him. I have a 2nd interview on Tuesday and another this week sometime that both look like I'm going to get an offer.
    How would I buy some extra time? I don't want to turn anything down until I have offers from everybody. My thought is to tell whomever offers that I need a few days to discuss it with my wife to make sure that the position is best for our family. Do you think this is an acceptable response to an offer?
    My hope is that I'll be able to call the Fine Arts Director in the district I want and tell him that two other districts want me and he'll either offer me a job or speed up the panel process.
    Am I taking a risk?
  3. Upsadaisy

    Upsadaisy Moderator

    Aug 2, 2002
    Likes Received:

    May 14, 2006

    No, I think you have to be realistic. Ask all of them what the deadline for acceptance would be. Simply explain your situation and they should understand that as a professional you are seeking the best opportunity available.
  4. Malcolm

    Malcolm Enthusiast

    Aug 25, 2005
    Likes Received:

    May 14, 2006

    Should be no problem getting a few days to make a decision. Tell them how much time you would like. Don't let them set the deadline if you can help it. It is still possible you may have to make a decision before having all the offers in hand. That's life.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. p6h3bn,
  2. i.heart.trees,
  3. TnKinder,
  4. Linguist92021,
  5. waterfall,
  6. catnfiddle,
  7. Ms.Holyoke
Total: 362 (members: 9, guests: 316, robots: 37)