Got a job offer but...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lumi, Jul 30, 2015.

  1. Lumi

    Lumi Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2004
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    5

    Jul 30, 2015

    This morning I received a phone call from a principal of a school I had an interview with last week and she offered me the job. This school is quite far away and I've had several other interviews with one being at a school that I feel is a much better fit and is closer. I had a great interview with this the principal and several teachers and I felt I really made a great impression on them and ultimately I would love to work in this school. I just got an all around better vibe from this interview than from the other school. But the other school has called to offer me a position and I haven't heard back from the more ideal school yet. What should I do?

    The principal who offered me the position left me a message so I still have yet to call her back because I'm waiting to see if I hear from the other school. Should I call the other school to ask what the status of my application is? I was told by them that they would be making a decision this week.

    I also have other interviews lined up and I don't want to take a position because I'm afraid it's the "only one I might get". :(
     
  2.  
  3. justwanttoteach

    justwanttoteach Cohort

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2013
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    75

    Jul 30, 2015

    I would call the other school P and say someone like

    "I just wanted to touch base. This school is my first choice, I have been offered a position at another school. Before I accept the offer I wanted to make sure I didn't rule anything out here with my first choice placement"
     
  4. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,266
    Likes Received:
    724

    Jul 30, 2015

    I've already had some trainings for the year, so decide quickly! I'd call the other principal to find out your status. If you know you don't want this school, call to decline soon so they can find someone. I hope you find a job you love.
     
  5. lucybelle

    lucybelle Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,841
    Likes Received:
    50

    Jul 30, 2015

    Contact your ideal school and say what justwanttoteach says.

    Then contact (email or call) the second choice school and say thanks so much for the offer, please give me a day or two to think it over. And let them know what day you'll get back to them, and make sure to confirm yes or no by that day.
     
  6. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,179
    Likes Received:
    376

    Jul 30, 2015

    We started trainings this week!
     
  7. MrTeach11

    MrTeach11 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2013
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 30, 2015

    I agree with the phone call to your top choice but if the phone call does not go the way you hope, my opinion is that it is getting pretty late in the summer to be turning down jobs...
     
  8. newteacher99

    newteacher99 Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2011
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 30, 2015

    Its only July/August don't panic

    It's late in the summer, but if you don't want a job, or feel it's not a good fit, then it is better not to take it. I am a firm believer in my "gut feeling". Whenever I have gone against it, there have been disastrous results. Besides, there will be jobs in August and September as well. "Panic thinking" does not ever go well. One way or another your unhappiness will show.

    A teaching job is not a guarantee anymore. Many schools are giving year to year contracts. There will always be LTS jobs, and if you in a position you cannot interview for a better position.

    This is just my :2cents:
     
  9. waterfall

    waterfall Maven

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    5,831
    Likes Received:
    683

    Jul 30, 2015

    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Call the school that offered and ask for time to think, and then call your first choice and tell them you have an offer that you need to respond to by x day. If they really want you, they'll make sure you can get an offer in time. I also agree that unless for some reason you think this school that offered is just going to be absolutely terrible for some reason, I wouldn't be turning down offers this late in the summer. If there are specific things you're worried about, can you call/e-mail and ask more questions? Or ask for contact info for a future teammate and ask them questions? That might help you make a more informed decision. Also think about if you can afford to sub if nothing else comes through. I think the chances of getting another offer this late in the summer are pretty slim, so you need to make sure if you turn something down that you're okay with subbing as an alternative.
     
  10. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,179
    Likes Received:
    376

    Jul 31, 2015

    I turned down 2 offers to wait for the one I really wanted (and I told this job that I had turned down the other 2) and I ended up getting the 3rd one :)
    Can you afford to take a big risk like that?
     
  11. SCTeacher23

    SCTeacher23 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 31, 2015

    Like others have said, I would call the other school you interviewed at and see if they have made a decision first. However, although I do see your point, what if the offer you have is your only offer? How would you feel if you turned it down?

    I had a situation once where I received an offer at a great school, but it was not my first choice. I called back another school I had interviewed at, but could not get a hold of the P, so I took the offer that I had. I found out later that I couldn't get a hold of the P because she was on vacation, but I found out later that I did not get the job. I know I would have been really upset if I turned down the offer that I had.
     
  12. teachartk-12

    teachartk-12 Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 1, 2015

    I had a job offer with contract in hand, and then had a demo at another school, better job. After the demo, I wrote a thank you and alerted the principal that I did have another job offer but that their school was my number one choice. Basically telling them, that if they liked me, they need to make a decision soon. They did. called 2 days later recommending me. But a week later, I am still waiting on HR (I posted on this) so getting anxious I gave up the "bird in hand". The whole process creates anxiety! Good luck to you
     
  13. TeachCafe

    TeachCafe Comrade

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    25

    Aug 2, 2015

    Can you afford to wait?

    I saved a lot this past year but my health insurance is up August 31 so if it were me I'd have to choose quick because I cannot afford a gap health wise.

    If you're got a SO who makes good and are covered wait if you want.

    It's crunch time and IMO they choose who they want QUICK. Even if they have other interviews lined up. Beggers can't be choosers and they aren't waiting forever. PDs start soon so they want a body in the PDs and classrooms preferably before the beginning of the year.

    Some positions do open up in late August but we aren't talking 100 new positions. And from what I've seen it's usually just K and 1st and SPED because they're usually new registrations. Older grades and non sped don't open up that much
     
  14. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,266
    Likes Received:
    724

    Aug 2, 2015

    The OP hasn't been back since posting.
     
  15. Boba

    Boba Companion

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2011
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 4, 2015

    I really wanted to hear what happened too! I may end up in that situation too due to timing of interviews.
     
  16. Lumi

    Lumi Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2004
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    5

    Aug 5, 2015

    Hey everyone, thanks for your tips and words of wisdom.

    This is very interesting but I didn't end up having to let go of the job offer myself, it was rescinded. It was such a weird situation but basically the principal called me in the morning to offer me the job and I waited until later that afternoon until I called her back to see if the other school would call, but they didn't. I called back fully intending to turn down the offer and it turns out I didn't need to worry about it because the position wasn't available any longer. Apparently the woman who resigned decided to un-resign because her husband's transfer didn't take place after all so she is staying in that position. I was okay with that because that school was really far away.

    The following day I was elated to be offered a position at the school where I had a great interview and I really felt like it was a good fit both for me and for the school. I gladly accepted but I was told I had to wait until HR officially offered me the position. Well, here it is almost a full week later and I still haven't heard from HR. I even turned down two other job interviews (one in a district that I have very much wanted to work in for many years) because I felt like it would be misleading to interview when I've already accepted another position.

    The admin of the school did call me to tell me "not to panic" and to ask me for my tee-shirt size because the whole staff is getting tee-shirts ordered this year. The principal told me to let her know if I hadn't heard anything by Thursday. Tomorrow is Thursday so I will call her tomorrow afternoon if I still haven't heard from HR. I'm not really panicking about not having a job, but more about not being where I need to be when all the training starts, which I think might be as early as next Monday. Accckkkk! I hate all this waiting!
     
  17. horned_Frog89

    horned_Frog89 Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2013
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    8

    Aug 6, 2015

    Just be patient. If you miss training, it's okay.

    I just missed a whole week of district wide PD because it took THREE WEEKS!!! for HR to contact me.

    It's just a long process. But good for you!!!
     
  18. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Aug 6, 2015

    Congrats on the job offer. I wouldn't panic either. HR tends to move slowly in districts.
     
  19. Lumi

    Lumi Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2004
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    5

    Aug 6, 2015

    I finally heard from a lady in HR today and the process is slowly rolling along. She needed a copy of my high school diploma which I quickly found my attic and sent her a pdf of; an official transcript from my college and to tell me that I have to get finger printed. I'm in the process of getting all of this done and it looks like it will take 7-10 days before the school district and the state board of education will get the results back from my fingerprinting and background check. Apparently I can't get the fingerprints done until I'm submitted into the system by the hiring school district. That hasn't been done yet so I'm still waiting to even get it started.

    I am wondering if I should e-mail my principal to let her know where things stand or should I just let the ball roll slowly and continue to enjoy my summer vacation? Any suggestions?
     
  20. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,266
    Likes Received:
    724

    Aug 6, 2015

    I'd email the principal. I'd also ask when I could get into my room. If you haven't seen it yet or started on it, that needs to happen soon. You usually don't get much time once training days have started to work on your room. Workdays are often taken up with department meetings.
     
  21. TeachCafe

    TeachCafe Comrade

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    25

    Aug 6, 2015

    Now I see that you're in Texas. The fingerprinting is just a timeline. I had mine done August 15th and I was able to start August 25 last year. I didn't formally sign my contract until the 26th. Every district is different through because they sure didn't hold things up to get a copy of my high school diploma.

    They wanted my college transcripts with my degree conferred the most. I took 15 hours at a CC over the summer my freshman year and had to order that transcript but since I had my college ones from graduation that was the "transcripts" box checked that was the most important for were able them to keep the ball rolling and the others would be added when I got them.

    You definitely don't want to miss the week before trainings or anything important. If we all start on the 24th you still have time and should be able to go to them and get your room set up and meet with your team and start planning.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Missy,
  2. YoungTeacherGuy
Total: 186 (members: 2, guests: 154, robots: 30)
test