I am a teacher who entered the profession after numerous years in other fields. I have noticed that 95% (guesstimate) of all conversations, discussions, meetings. formal or informal conversations, etc. that I have with my students are centered around grades, grading policies, extra credit, etc. The other 5% is about the actual content and understanding the material. Imo, the ratios should be reversed...If you understand he material, the grades will take care of themselves. Is my thinking incorrect here? For discussion sake, or just for my own curiosity, what is happening in the process such that students are unable to connect the dots. How can we address this issue? Do you perceive it as an issue? I have taught at 2 schools and the 95/5 proportion has been roughly the same at both. And these 2 schools have been at the opposite ends of the socio-economic spectrum fwiiw. Thanks for any and all comments..